Welcome to the wonderful world of needlework. We are so happy you are here! In this tutorial, you will learn the basics on how to get started with your embroidery.
1. Separate the hoop rings: Loosen the screw at the top of your hoop and separate the inner ring from the outer ring.
2. Place fabric in the hoop: Place the inner ring on a flat surface and rest the fabric on top, with the image centered (use the black circle on the fabric as a guide). Place the outer ring over the fabric and press until it fits around the fabric and inner ring. Begin to tighten the screw so that the fabric is taut inside the hoop (don’t over stretch the fabric so that the image looks distorted). You should have a nice smooth surface to begin stitching.
3. Cut the thread: Cut your thread into manageable lengths as you work (about 18-20 inches).
4. Separate/split the threads: Each embroidery thread is made up of 6 individual strands. Separate the number of strands noted in each section of your embroidery instructions. For example, in the image below, I am (slowly) splitting off two strands.
5. Thread the needle: Thread the correct amount of strands through the eye of your needle and create a double knot at the other end of your thread.
6. End of a thread: When you get to the end of each thread, you can either tie a knot in the back of your fabric or weave your thread back and forth through the back of a few stitches.
Hope this tutorial was helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact E+S. We are always happy to help. Check out our video stitch tutorials if you get stuck on any stitches. Happy Stitching!